- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1/2 can cream cheese frosting (not whipped)
- 1 package chocolate almond bark
- 1/4 package white almond bark
- wax paper
- Bake cake mix to box directions in a greased and floured 13x9" cake pan.
- Allow to cool completely then place in food processor to crumble to a fine consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl, use your clean hands to blend in 1/2 can cream cheese frosting (enough frosting to "wet" the cake mix completely - this will determine how cakey/gooey the inside of the cake balls will remain)
- Roll mixture into 1" balls and place on wax papered cookie sheets
- Chill in freezer for ~15 min or the refrigerator for a few hours
- Place ~1/2 package of chocolate in a large measuring cup and melt chocolate in microwave per package directions.
- Dip cake balls in melted chocolate (I use a fork to scoop them out of the chocolate) and place on fresh wax paper-covered cookie sheets. Add and reheat chocolate as needed to complete all of the cake balls.
- Allow cake balls to cool/set up completely.
- Check the bottom of the cake balls to make sure they haven't sprung a leak. If so, redip only the bottom of the cake ball and allow to setup again.
- Use the melted white almond bark and a fork to drizzle a decorative white flourish over the top.
Modifications to Make It Your Own
- Use any number of flavor combinations - combine any cake flavor with any frosting flavor of your choice.
- With lighter cakes (white/yellow) add food coloring before baking to get wacky & bright combinations.
- Use candy melts instead of almond bark to change the outer coating color.
- Add sprinkles/cake decors before the cake balls set up.
- Use Wilton's Mini Cookie Cutters to gently press cake mixture thru to make shapes other than balls. This can be very time consuming and the simpler the shape, the easier it is to press.
|Mint Chocolate Cake Balls|
Like what your reading? Share it!