Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Zippy Ground Beef Skillet



This recipe to me is the epitome of what I wish Hamburger Helper would taste like. Granted, I'm happy to say I made this without using any canned produce. The tomatoes have been plentiful on our sole tomato plant this week. It was amazingly fresh and lighter than I was expecting. The sauce didn't thicken after cooling as much as I would have liked, but next time I'll just add a little more cornstarch.

Ingredients:
Tomatoes from my lone tomato plant!
  • 2 cups uncooked small tube pasta 
  • 1 pound lean ground beef 
  • 3/4 cup onion, diced   
  • 3/4 cup green bell pepper, diced   (I actually used Red)
  • 1 (28 ounce) can or 3 1/2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained 
  • 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced - wear gloves 
  • 1 tablespoon honey 
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder 
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced fat sour cream
  • 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp cold water (for sauce thickening if needed)
Directions:
  1. Start water to boil for pasta.
    Add Tomato
  2. Dice onion, green bell pepper, & jalapeno.
  3. Cook pasta according to package directions. 
  4. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. 
  5. Add the tomatoes, jalapenos, honey, chili powder and salt. 
  6. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  7. Drain pasta; add to beef mixture. 
  8. Add sour cream. 
  9. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil).
After simmering for 10 minutes


Like what your reading? Share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment