Friday, December 2, 2011

Coconut Chicken Curry



A New Frontier...

Cooking a curry dish is a first for me. I have always loved eating curry dishes out at restaurants but I have felt a little intimidated to try this at home. For my first attempt at curry, I was thankful this dish came out very tasty. Next time I fix this dish, I will try pork and probably add some spice. It was good and flavorful by itself but I like mine with a little more kick. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 – 1.5 lbs cooked, shredded chicken
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 8oz can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small bag (abt 1 dozen) red potatoes, chunked
  • 3-4 carrots, sliced
  • 1 can water chestnuts, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • salt to taste
  • rice
Directions:

Chicken Prep:
  • Either Bake chicken at 350 degrees for ~30 minutes (until done). OR Boil chicken 30-45 minutes. OR cheat/save some time and buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.
Vegetable Prep:
  • While the chicken is baking, bring a medium stock pot of water boil for the carrots and potatoes. Add the carrots first since they take a little longer to cook. After about 10 minutes add the potatoes to the pot and continue to boil for about 20-30 minutes (or until potatoes and carrots are tender). Drain vegetables.
Rice Prep:
  • I used jasmine rice to serve under the chicken curry. Follow package directions for whatever serving size you would like to prepare. The package I used suggested using chicken stock and white wine instead of water. This gave it a much richer flavor. I fixed 8 servings of rice which traditionally calls for 3 cups of water. I substituted 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock and 1/2 cup of wine.                                  
Curry Directions:
  1. In a large, deep pot, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are near translucent. 
  2. Add curry powder and shredded chicken, stir until well mixed. cook for another minute.
  3. Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to stir. 
  4. Add coconut milk, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Keep stirring
  5. Add sugar and salt to taste (mine came out without needing salt). keep stirring until well mixed. I let it cook for another minute.
Serve chicken over a bed of rice and enjoy!

Inspired by Leah’s Coconut Chicken Curry


Like what your reading? Share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment