Sorry the picture isn't up to my usual standards but I decided to take this in a hurry and after the cake was half gone. This was the moistest, most wonderful chocolate cake I have ever tasted! I was a little skeptical when I put it in the oven because the batter was so runny but it turned out great! I had also never tried pudding frosting before and I am sold on it now. I was curious about the coffee and buttermilk addition, but no worries, you can't taste either at all. They just enrich the chocolate flavor. Enjoy!
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup black strong coffee (1 Tbsp coffee with 8 oz boiling water brewed then cooled to room temp)
- 1 cup buttermilk OR 1 cup equivalent of buttermilk powder & water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature, leave out for at least an hour or two)
- 12 oz Cool Whip (thawed, leave out for at least 10-15 minutes)
- Coffee Prep: Brew your coffee and let it cool. You want it to room temp by the time you need to mix it in the cake.
- Pan Prep: Grease and flour either a 13x9 inch cake pan or 2 9" round cake pans. Cut either wax paper or parchment paper to size and line bottom of pan(s).
- Oven Prep: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients into one mixing bowl. Sift flour and cocoa together.Whisk together to ensure an even mixture.
- Mix all wet ingredients into another mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix. Use an electric mixer until well blended but do not over mix.
- Pour evenly into pan(s).
- Bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, your cake is done.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans for at least 15-20 minutes before removing onto cooling racks. Allow cakes to cool completely before attempting to frost.
- Frost cake using rubber spatula and enjoy!
- While cake is baking, mix milk and pudding in a small bowl using an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes, then allow pudding to set.
- Using an electric mixer, whip cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add Cool Whip to cream cheese and continue to mix until well blended.
- Add pudding to cream cheese mixture and continue to mix until well blended.
- Place frosting in refrigerator until needed.
Store cake in refrigerator after frosting.
Recipe Courtesy of The Little Kitchen
Like what your reading? Share it!