Take advantage of local produce, especially during the summer! These wonderful refrigerator dill pickles are so refreshing! Another great way to control what goes into your diet.
- 3-4 small pickling cucumbers, quartered into spears
- 1/8-1/4 sweet or Vidalia onion, thinly sliced, depending on how strong you want the onion flavor
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, mashed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dill seed
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Pack speared cucumbers in a quart, wide-mouth Ball/Mason jar.
- Put onion slices, garlic and bay leaf on top and in between spears.
- In a bowl combine remaining ingredients and mix until sugar and salt dissolve. Pour over cucumbers.
- Close jar tightly and put in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Suggestion for multiple jars: repeat step 3 separately for each jar to get a more uniform flavor in jar.
- Note: Pickles are good for at least 1 week (the expire when they lose crispness or start to smell different)
Like what your reading? Share it!